Occasionally, things go wrong with the electrical systems in our homes. It’s unfortunate, but it’s inevitable. Electricity is a vicious force, and one to the reckoned with. Attempting to work on the wiring in your home can quite possibly be one of the most dangerous activities someone can do under their own roof. Despite this, many people attempt to fix the problems on their own, putting themselves and their families at great risk.
A 240v AC power supply, like those provided to our homes, can create incredible damage to the human body in the right circumstances. If the current can penetrate the body and into the heart, the electricity can get confused with the electrical signals created by our own brains and interfere with our heartbeat. electricity can also cause extensive damage to our muscles and internal organs. Apart from the obvious threat the electricity in our homes provide to our bodies, a direct short can melt wire and create immense heat creating fires within our home that can’t be controlled easily.
It’s for these very reasons that NSW law requires you to have an electrical license before commencing work that goes beyond the changing of a simple light globe and rightly so with the dangers that can occur. What most DIY handymen don’t realize, is that the penalties for undergoing your own electrical work are quite significant, and any work carried out by a simple homeowner cannot be certified by a qualified electrician as safe, even if it’s installed correctly.
As if that wasn’t enough, if for whatever reason your house catches on fire, and the cause can be traced to illegal electrical work, you may no longer be covered by your home insurance policy.
So what now?
If a problem has